Trouble Concentrating


Dear Dr. Bill,

Our adopted eight-year-old son has trouble concentrating and staying on task in school.  My husband and I are considering having him tested for ADHD, but I have reservations about taking him to see a psychologist.  Are my concerns totally out of balance?  What are some guidelines for selecting a psychologist?  And should we make sure they are Christian?



Dear Glenda,

Your son’s attention problems could be caused by a variety of different things.  ADHD is one possibility.  S are learning disabilities, anxiety, depression, and even family problems.

I would suggest that you arrange to have your son evaluated by a professional who specializes in ADHD.  This could be a child psychologist, a child psychiatrist, a pediatrician, a social worker or a licensed family counselor.

I always advise parents to get a referral from a medical professional that they trust, such as their family doctor.  A major children’s hospital can refer you to a specialist who treats ADHD.

Many Christian parents have concerns about taking their child to a non-Christian therapist.  As I’ve mentioned before, you’re wise to be wary of any therapist who may be anti-Christian or hostile to your faith.

But there are many fine non-Christian physicians and psychologists who are excellent professionals and may be able to help your son.

What’s important is that they respect your Christian beliefs and don’t attempt to undermine your faith.

By the way, a great place to find solid information about ADHD is an organization called CHADD, Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder.  You can visit their website at

Thanks for writing, Glenda.


If you have a question for me about family issues or Christian living, click the “Questions” link on the Family Expert page.

Listen to today’s audio.